03 August 2011

PART ONE: MY PANTRY

It took me a bit to settle down and actually have the time to write this but I wanted to make sure once I started this that I would make this a daily thing. So, that being said I took care of all the stuff I needed to and here I am. :)
This week I have 65.00 dollars to buy groceries. Yup, groceries for a family of five with enough meals for two weeks... aka the next payday. Heres the breakdown of how to do such a crazy thing without feeding your family complete junk. COOK! The easiest route is to stock up on good ingredients. Also it helps if you have a pantry stocked with basics. Luckily our pantry is stocked with the basics before we got to the point of living on such a crazy amount of grocery money a week. I like to have my "basics" around the house BUT that being said when one item runs out I have to replace it or there goes doing things the cheap way. I never let too much run out or I know that could equal some big money by the next shopping trip. I also usually only buy store brand.
Heres what I consider MY basic must haves sitting in the pantry:
Rice, the big bag kind takes a while to cook, not minute rice. This is much more cheaper in the long run. More time is needed to cook but it is worth it for me  (brown and white)
Dried Beans (Kidney, Black Beans, Pinto Beans, and Chickpeas) This also requires time but if you can throw a pot of dried beans on the counter full of water in the morning before work (or the night before bed) they will be ready to cook once you need them.
Bag of Sugar
Store brand splenda type sweetner
Bag of Brown Sugar
Distilled white Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar
Lemon juice
Flour, white, whole wheat and self rising
Jello
Bag of Potatoes
Oatmeal
Kool-aid mixes for emergencies (hey I know it isn't always the healthiest but use splenda!)
Bisquick
I always also have a couple boxes of cheap cake and brownie mixes around for lazy days.
Cornstarch
Onion soup mix
Tuna
Salsa
Chicken and Beef broth
Saltines
Breadcrumbs
Peanut butter
Jelly
Ranch Dressing
Italian Dressing
Dried Creamer
Raisins
Nuts
Taco, Chili and Italian seasoning mixes
Dried Pasta (always have at least spaghetti but I usually have a lot more)
Apple Sauce
Box of Ramen (hey the noodles are great for stir-fry!)
Olive oil
Honey
Veg. oil
dried milk
Evap milk
cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup
tomato puree
canned stewed tomatoes
can of diced tomatoes
Taco shells
Frozen veggies
and of course the usual condiments like mayo, ketchup, mustard, relish, pickles, soy and bbq
THEN... I also always have spices. essentials really are just garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper. :)
I LOVE my spices though so I have a ton of other odds and ends.
That is my necessary list. If you actually want to build a pantry stock that big do a couple things a week. I like to have a little of everything because like I said I like to cook and bake. My pantry allows me to do that without having to run to the store for extras all week.

0 comments:

Post a Comment